If you want more followers on Twitter, remember this golden rule:
"People are attracted to people who have a great sense of humour"
Humour makes you look human, especially if you can laugh at yourself. So here are a few pointers to help you be more humorous on social media.
- Share a humorous quote. There are thousands of places on the internet where you can find them.
- Share humorous videos. It doesn’t have to be related to your work: e.g. Just for Laughs gags.
- Humorous observations from your work. E.g. I posted a blog article about illiterate SEO consultants, by sharing some sample comments I found on my blog.
- Describe humorous things that have happened to you.
- Most importantly, never make a joke at someone else’s expense. It’s not funny, it makes you look unprofessional, and it will probably backfire.
Jeffrey Gitomer, a well known sales guru is a very good example of how to use humour in social media. In the video below, he explains the importance of humour as part of sales: